Cyanide anyone…?

IMG_8770

 

So it’s been a banner year for chokecherries.

 

IMG_8777

 

 Seriously, the tree is full.

 

IMG_8768

 

Since I’ve always wondered why the birds never ate them, I did a little research.

 

IMG_8774

 

And discovered that even though you can make jam with them….

Eaten raw?

They’re full of cyanide!

Who knew?

13 thoughts on “Cyanide anyone…?”

    1. According to the experts….
      “Most parts of chokecherry are toxic to humans and livestock. Digestion of chokecherry seeds, leaves, twigs and bark by enzymes in the stomach releases cyanide (also called hydrocyanic or prussic acid). Cyanide poisoning can occur with fresh, bruised, wilted or dried foliage. It is possible for a person or animal to die of cyanide poisoning if not treated within minutes of ingestion. Cases of poisoning in livestock have been reported. However, it is not usual for such poisonings to occur at times when other, more palatable forage is available. Cases of poisoning have been reported for children who chewed on twigs, or ate the cherries without discarding the pits. The fleshy portion of the chokecherry fruit is not poisonous and can be safely eaten, although it is extremely tart. It is frequently combined with other types of fruit to make pies and jellies.”

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s